Swift

IELTS – Speaking Part-1?


• Listen to the questions carefully.

• Give full answers to the questions if possible but don’t predict

related questions. For example, if you are asked where you live a suitable answer would be ‘I live in the new territories – in a village just outside Delhi, called Bank Town.’


NOT ‘I live in Delhi. It’s a really nice town with quite a large population and lots of seafood restaurants. It’s a lovely place to live as it’s in the countryside. I have lived there for ten years.’ 


How to prepare for IELTS – Speaking



like a prepared answer and the examiner’s next question might be ‘What’s Delhi  like?’.

• Don’t give one or two word answers as the examiner can only rate you on what he or she hears.

• Make sure you relate what you say to what the examiner asks. For example,

Examiner: Do you like playing cricket?

You: Yes, I do but I don’t get much time to play these days.


How to prepare for Part 1

• Make a list of possible topics you could be interviewed on e.g.

  •  your home
  •  your country
  •  your job
  •  your interests
  •  your education
  •  your family
  •  food
  •  festivals
  •  clothes
  •  books
  •  films
  •  transport etc.
• Write questions for each of your topics and get a friend or family  to ask you the questions or put them on an audio cassette and test yourself responding to them.


• Record yourself answering the questions and listen to see how you can progress your responses.

• Make sure you know all the vocabulary necessary to talk about these topics. Practice the pronunciation of any new vocabulary.

• Think about the language that will be useful e.g.

  • ways of expressing likes & dislikes
  • linkers like ‘even though’ and ‘unless’
  • tenses to talk about the past and present and your experiences
e.g. ‘I’ve never been to Africa.’ or ‘I went to Switzerland for a holiday in 2000.’

You Might Also Like

0 comments